Our bus was equipped with GE's Advantium Oven manufactured in September of 2005. It's model # SCA1000HBB 03 and serial # SH900323K. The oven cooks great and we've used it for everything from boiling a cup of water to preparing salmon. We also bake cakes, pies and bread. The oven has seen almost daily usage for the past 4 years. And it's provided trouble free operation. Well almost.......

Advantium 120 oven from GE. It's almost impossible to keep it clean.

I can't really stand up and cheer about how well this oven cooks. It should given it's an expensive oven made by an experienced manufacturer. That said, over the four years we've used this product there are two areas of poor design that make using the oven a bit disappointing.

This oven isn't a self cleaning model so you resort to the old fashioned methods to include cleaner, rag and elbow grease. That works fine for the interior cavity and it's required after you speedcook fish, for example. But the interior isn't the only place you'll need to clean.

Grease, dirt and grime blows over the electronics. Who thought of this??

The oven has an internal fan that circulates air. Some of that air blows out the front grill. On its way out it passes over the internal electronics leaving them filled with grease, dust and dirt. The front grill louvers also get dirty and take on cooking smells. The grill can be removed (two screws) and cleaned. The electronics compartment is all but impossible to clean. I'm still confused at who thinks up these designs then hides them behind a fancy grill.

The interior light is behind an open grid of holes and glass crystal. The glass crystal gets very hot during cooking and from the halogen bulb. If you are wiping out the oven with a damp rag and inadvertently pass over the bulb area, chances are you'll break the glass. The cold water oozing from the rag hits the hot glass and you already know the rest. Again, I wonder who thinks up these designs. You probably won't even know you broke the glass. When the crystal cracks it now lets heat escape from the oven's interior. Probably not really a good idea.

Hole grid that lets light into the oven.

Busted bulb and busted crystal. Made in China and Korea respectfully.

The part # of this glass crystal isn't easy to find on GE's service part diagrams. It's WB06X10317 and will set you back about $6 should you need a replacement. The bulb is a generic halogen type with a G8 base. I've found 50 watts to be enough light for the interior.

Replacing The Bulb:

Oven bulbs blow out and need replacement from time to time. On our old castle door home oven this was about a 30 second job. On the Advantium it took about two hours and would try the patience of a saint. For some I'd guess it's a call to the service man or just cook in the dark. As for tools, you'll need a right angle screw driver, flashlight, inspection mirror, stool and plenty of patience. Here's the procedure:

1) Remove grill.
2) Remove the electronics cover.
3) Remove the fan shroud.
4) Lift up the base plate.
5) Unclip bulb socket.
6) Lift out crystal and replace it if broken.

The oven bulb is located down under behind around in here! Somewhere......

To be fair, our estimate of repair time included two disassembly operations because of a surprise broken crystal. We needed to put the oven back together to use it pending receipt of all the parts. When those parts came in, the oven needed to come apart one more time.

Oven light socket retainer clip. Don't forget that little black pad.

I think routine cleaning and replacement of parts should be made easy, not difficult on this oven. With just a little more effort and forethought this product could really shine. No pun intended.

When your bulb blows out, look up into the hole grid and make sure the crystal is good. If not, order a new one so you can complete the repair in one disassembly cycle. Make sure to have a right angle screw driver as the other tools are ordinary household items. Also, the socket clip might be or get bent making its fitment poor. Check this carefully. There's a silicone pad that restrains the crystal. Make sure it's there and properly positioned. If it needs to be put back on the socket, a tiny dab of crazy glue will help. Use an inspection mirror to look inside so you can see what's going on. The socket has a tab on one side (closest to you) and clips on the other side. You'll need to squeeze it and pull slightly toward you while lifting up to get it out. Reserve this process to reinstall it. It's a clumsy design and difficult to deal with IMHO. Also watch the wires on the sharp metal edges of the bulb socket's clip. These are delicate.

A small crystal bezel with one screw that can be removed from the interior of the oven would make more sense. You'd simply take that off and replace the bulb. A visible glass crystal would also promote careful handling of hot glass when cleaning a hot oven. Meaning you simply wipe around it because it's obvious. We're not splitting the atom on this and I think GE's design team should have done better in these areas. That said, the Advantium cooks well and the best part is it's still working after 7 years.

Complete slide show HERE. (9 frames w/captions)
Evolve and simplify!
Scott Bridgman, Why not join and post your own comments??
scott@muniac.com (email me)