I just finished reading Bertrand Russell's The Conquest of Happiness. The original book was copyrighted in 1930 by Horace Liveright, Inc. The original book has been reissued in 2013 with an introduction by Daniel C. Dennett. The paperback cover is half pale yellow on top with white underneath and 223 pages. It's considered one of Russell's "popular" writings.

My oldest brother recommended the book and wrote this brief paragraph on Russell:

Russell led a long and colorful life dedicated to mathematics, philosophy and, above all, the promotion of reason in the handling of mankind's affairs, starting with the renunciation of war. He was distinguished in his lifetime in the first two categories, publishing among other major works the Principia Mathematica with Alfred North Whitehead, which made him famous, but he failed to prevail in the third. No surprise there. He was married four times, finally getting it right the last time around at age 80. At 89 he was jailed for seven days in Brixton Prison on a charge of disturbing the peace while leading an anti-nuclear war rally. A bout with the flu took him out at age 97. Cool, interesting dude.

The book is an excellent read. It's amazing how relevant the content is some 85 years later. In fact some of his ideas actually have more relevance now in current times. Russell has a scientific background which makes his style of expression rational, to the point and logical. If you enjoy reading, buy a used copy of this fabulous book and benefit from what Russell has to say on a subject that touches all of us. The very worst that can happen is you'll learn something.

Evolve and simplify!
Scott Bridgman, Why not join and post your own comments??
scott@muniac.com (email me)
BACK HOME