We have two A/C units on the bus. Both identical and made by AirExcel. The front A/C unit had a melt down which I chronicled HERE. Even after the repair its cooling capacity was weak. The coldest air it would deliver was around 53F. Some 8-10 degrees F warmer than the rear A/C unit.

So I decided to replace it with a new one.

[Linked Image from muniac.smugmug.com]
New AirExcel A/C unit installed. Lower in profile by about 2".

It's supposed to be a direct replacement but that isn't exactly how it worked out. The control box (used over from old unit) needs to be remounted and the lock down screws from the old unit aren't long enough. I had to improvise making new through bolts using 1/4-20 threaded rod and elastic stop nuts. This worked fine. The old screws are 7" and the new unit requires ones that are 9-1/2". They should be here in a couple of days. I may or may not put them in as the threaded rod is perfectly fine.

Kevin, Steve and I worked on getting all this done. My positive experience with Kevin is chronicled HERE. We needed his expertise and the manpower to get the old unit off the roof and the new one hoisted up. We used a sling, ladder and ropes to manage this. All went well.

Once installed the new A/C unit fired up as expected and delivered air at 45F and dropping. This was on a 75F degree day. I'll know more when the temps get into the 90s.

[Linked Image from muniac.smugmug.com]
A quick look inside reveals this A/C isn't made as well as the old unit.

The new unit runs a touch quieter than the old one did. Not sure if that just means reduced airflow or not. Time will tell how this A/C unit will work out. So far so good and a BIG thanks to Kevin and Steve for their expertise, help and assistance.

Complete slide show HERE. (6 frames w/captions)

Evolve and simplify!
Scott Bridgman, Why not join and post your own comments??
scott@muniac.com (email me)
BACK HOME