Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
up4itnc, Bob, DoubtingThomas, parkcitygal, Roy
46 Registered Users
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Shout Box

Topic Options
#536 - 07/22/14 03:59 PM Our Stay in Lehighton, PA
Muniac Administrator Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Livingston, Texas
Today (Tuesday 7/22/2014) we got off to an early start at 6:45a just to put us out of sync with rush hour traffic through the major cities. This strategy worked well as we encountered no traffic other than busy roads. Everybody was moving and we completed the 521 miles in 9 hours. That included a quick lunch stop for about 20 minutes. The bus ran well and we had no navigational issues. The entire trip came off without a hitch. Really glad about that.

This concludes a 3,000 mile trek that's taken us 1 month to complete. Only because we chose to stop and stay at locations for 1 week or more. We're at the Stoneybrook Campground in site F3. We needed to block up the front wheels about 3 inches. So far water pressure and quality are good. Sewer is downhill and electricity seems fine. Even the internet works reasonably well.

We also setup off site storage so the van is no longer overloaded.

The rig setup once again in site F3. Finally got the last travel leg completed.

This area will give us access to friends, family and a few of our former NJ doctors. It should be good to visit with some familiar faces.
BACK HOME

#537 - 07/23/14 08:24 AM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Muniac]
enthusiast

Wednesday:

Had a chance to inspect the showers. They are clean but the water control is a 30 second push button with no ability to vary flow or temperature. In all my years of using showers I've never seen such an arrangement. It basically makes the showers unusable IMHO. Especially for Jeannie that needs to wash her long hair.

The campground has been built on precipitous terrain with tiers of graded bench cuts. It's a steep climb to get up into the campground area and into the tiers of bench cuts. I have some concerns about getting in/out of the campground in the winter. I'm told it is plowed well. Only 4 people stay here through the winter. I'll need to speak with them to get an idea of whether my concerns are legitimate.
BACK HOME

#538 - 07/30/14 09:01 AM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Muniac]
enthusiast

We've passed the 1 week point here in Stoneybrook. I spoke with Johnathan (owner) about the push button shower situation. He said the bathrooms are going to be redone but that isn't likely this season. Getting access to the shower mixing valves requires major surgery. The previous owners went on the real cheap side so he has inherited a ton of upgrades and improvements. Things like power, water, sewer and general site prep have gotten understandable priority. He's a very nice fellow, works hard and is extremely helpful.

This place has been extremely quiet and everyone has been very friendly. They also have a dog barking rule which I think is great! Chronic loud and persistent barking isn't tolerated. The people that do own dogs here are very considerate towards others that might not want to put up with the constant barking.

We're still not sure if we are going to stay here for the winter months. It is an option since they stay open all year long. We're just not sure whether we want to deal with the winter season.

I'm told a good pair of studded snow tires will get us in/out of the campground as well as around the local roads. There are a lot of hills and sharp curves given the terrain.

Otherwise our stay is going well. It's very busy here in the east which is taking some time for us to adjust to. With the increased number of people also come readily accessible services which has been nice.
BACK HOME

#539 - 08/04/14 06:35 AM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Muniac]
enthusiast

Yesterday (Sunday 8/3/2014) we had a couple from NJ visit. Old friends we've known for a very long time. The campground charges $5/person for visitor. I think $10 is very steep given none of the services the campground maintains were used by our guests. We pay $500/mth + electricity to stay here.
BACK HOME

#540 - 08/25/14 03:45 PM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Muniac]
Jim Offline
stranger

Loc: Mammoth Lakes, CA
Hi Scott and Jennie! Just got done reading about your travels since I last saw you. I was actually hoping our paths might have crossed soon as I am going to be heading to UT, CO, and NM next month. Looks like you will be back east for the fall (jealous!) and winter. I especially enjoyed the tales and pictures from West Fir and Oakridge as I spent last summer in OR and really enjoyed the mountain biking there. But just like Scott said, it's hard not to notice the steep dropoff on a lot of the trails. Not much room for a mistake, lol. Have fun visiting your friends and family and hopefully our paths will cross soon! Take care. Jim

#544 - 09/01/14 06:21 AM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Jim]
enthusiast

Jim - We had a deviation in our plans that brought us east. Looks like we'll be staying here for the next 6 months. Not necessarily in PA but somewhere on the east coast. We're looking at some places in NC right now.

Westfir and Oakridge are being impacted with forest fires. Glad we ditched out of there early. Can't imagine getting caught up in that mess. Hope to see you when our paths cross. It's a small world. Safe travels and take care.
BACK HOME

#553 - 09/28/14 07:50 AM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Muniac]
enthusiast

We've passed the 2 month mark here at Stoneybrook and the campground is proving to be nice. All services remain good and the support is also good. Especially the internet which is usually very bad in campgrounds. Here it works well. The folks using the campground are all pretty nice and friendly. Many have permanent weekend setups they enjoy as get aways. All are neat, clean and well landscaped which reflects a lot of pride and self respect. It makes the environment pleasant.

Several weeks ago we went to NC to check out campgrounds in and around the Asheville area. Although the town was nice, 8 of 8 campgrounds we visited were something less than what we expected for the prices. Usually running around $900 per month to $1,300. All were built on steeply inclined terrain making access difficult to horrific! Others had infrastructure problems to include poor electricity. Keep in mind we were looking at those open all year long which knocked out a lot of them. One had no Verizon cell phone service. The goal was to avoid a bone chilling winter. So it looks like we'll be here (Lehighton, PA) for the winter. There are 7+ ski resorts reasonably close by so they should be fun to explore. Also having access to NJ means we can visit friends and family to include Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. All we're hoping for is a manageable winter this season.

One of our goals was to look for a 3-5 acre lot to build a simple base camp to include a garage and place to park the bus. Central PA in rural areas is where we are looking. So far nothing has surfaced.
BACK HOME

#557 - 10/28/14 09:09 AM Re: Our Stay in Lehighton, PA [Re: Muniac]
enthusiast

After noshing around and looking at tons of properties in east central PA, Jeannie and I have decided this area isn't for us. It just doesn't feel like home. Visits to NJ (where we were born and raised) feel empty. This, of course, didn't include visits with friends and family. During our stay in PA we did enjoy some area restaurants, visits with friends and family and some of our old activities like roller skating and the Crossroads Jazz Club. We also completed some important doctor visits. So the trip was very important. It also added some necessary perspective on what needs to be in a home base. The most damning aspect of being back east are the crowds, congestion and expense of it all. Better value can be had elsewhere I think.

So we've decided to come back out west once again with a renewed perspective on what needs to be in our home environment. We're planning on staying in Montrose, Colorado. This area gets us close to all the outdoor spaces we enjoy. It's also less crowded and much less expensive to live here.

I'll chronicle our 2,000 mile trip back west under a different thread soon.
BACK HOME

Allure FOR SALE
Fab Ads
Featured Member
Top Posters
OldRebel 296
Muniac 247
Jeannie 48
8850 8
Gil B 4
Search w/Yahoo