I've been working on converting the TLCD library functions to a new library that will allow using them over a serial connection. My development environment consists of 2 Explorer 16 boards connected together via their RS-232 ports. In the video, the bottom LCD is the master and the top LCD is the slave. Commands are sent from the master to the slave. For those that have been following this, I've simply used my comprehensive C demo program for the testing. The serial versions of the TLCD functions simply include an X in front of the name. For example, LCD_Clear() would code as XLCD_Clear() in the serial version and so on. I duplicated all the TLCD functions in the demo to include the X version underneath the local functions. Thus two demos run in parallel from the master. The local function gets executed first followed by the serial X version. All one needs to do to use the serial functions is code the X versions. This makes them easy to use. The X versions work exactly the same way as their local counterparts.

At present this uses UART 2. I'm working on enabling all 4 UARTs to be used. My processor is the PIC24FJ256GB110. You can select a polled serial character receive function or an interrupt driven one. Some LCDs (like the Tianma) have trouble when the BF polling is interrupted.

I purchased the Explorer 16 boards at different times and hence they came with different LCDs. I think the Lumex LCD (top display) is a better module. The Tianma (bottom display) smears a bit as you can see from the video.

I'll make this code and instruction manuals available soon. Thanks for watching.
BACK HOME