Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #601 02/20/16 07:22 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
February 20, 2016

Hello people. I was down in Montana last weekend with my brother Scott and thought I would share some pictures with you that you may find fun and interesting. I had forgotten to take my usual camera so some of the pics were taken with my iphone and others were with a camera I wasn't familiar with so if they seem a little fuzzier than normal that is why. We went down to check on Scott's place (which is totally off-grid) and also to pick up some stuff I had at the Montana Shipping Outlet which I have posted about elsewhere in this blog. Scott's off-grid set-up is quite intricate and amazing really. It is a solar and generator operation. Since his homestead area is in a hollow the solar operation is quite weak in winter with the sun so low in the sky. Therefore he had to build his buildings with very thick, well-engineered insulated walls so they take very minimal heating to keep things from freezing up since the generators can't keep running with nobody around. This first picture is of the main homestead area. The super-insulated mechanical building is immediately behind the A-frame you see here.

[Linked Image from i1288.photobucket.com]

This next shot is of a wall with some of the electronic controls and inverter set-up. This is just one portion of what he has in there. It is also built with an in-floor heating system.

The mechanical room building also contains a kitchen and a shower room as well as a 1000 liter (approx 250 gallon) water tank. It also has a chest type deep freeze that he converted the refrigeration system to operate as a refrigerator rather than a freezer. More efficient at keeping the cold in when you open the lid as compared to a normal front door type refrigerator. Here is a picture of his very cool shower set-up. The tub is a horse water trough.

Scott monitors his systems and temperatures with a program he can access anytime and anywhere from his laptop.

Last edited by OldRebel; 02/20/16 07:40 PM.
Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #602 02/20/16 07:38 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
On Sunday afternoon we drove over to my other brother Gord's place. It is a very nice log home and shop partway up the side of a mountain. It has full power like a normal house with a well and septic system. Since his place is higher up they get a lot more snow so it can be a challenge in winter. He is not keen on me posting pictures of his place but here are a few of a local deer named Bobby that comes around to say hi. This is a mule deer that is tame like a dog. His mom was killed by a vehicle when he was a baby so a neighbor down the road bottle-fed the little guy and raised him until he could get out on his own. He hangs out with a herd of white-tail deer as the other mule deer won't accept him for some reason. The white-tails accepted him. He comes right over when you go outside and is looking for treats and also to get scratched. You can pet him and scratch him behind the ears all you want. He loves the attention and will snuggle his nose right into your armpit. Since he is a male he has antlers for part of the year and Gord says it is kind of dangerous to be around him then as he wants to play. This time of year his antlers have fallen off. The top of his head must be really itchy at the antler nubs as he really seemed to like us scratching him there.

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #603 02/20/16 07:51 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Later that afternoon we went over to some friends of Scott's who have an absolutely gorgeous wilderness home about 15 miles west of Scott's place. Large log home and very large shop on 240 acres. It overlooks a beautiful little valley that has two streams running through it. Both have rainbow trout in them! Here are a few shots of this dream home that I'm sure you will enjoy.

The main home is a little over 3000 square feet and is heated mainly with firewood. They go through about seven cords of wood in a normal winter.

I love Montana. A very beautiful area with fantastic people. I hope you enjoyed seeing these pictures.

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #604 02/20/16 08:51 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
My vegan daughter just texted me and said...
"For goodness sake you can't be all warm and fuzzy with one deer in one post and then throw in his dead stuffed neighbors in the second LOL"

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #605 04/19/16 05:49 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Hi people---friends. It is obvious that I have lost the necessary interest in maintaining this blog in recent times. I still live the same way in the same place and will continue to do so as long as I am able. I did purchase my own domain with the intention of transferring this entire blog over to it but it has proven to be very time consuming and my interest is weak. The domain is www.oldrebel.net and I may use it in the future. I'm just not sure at the present time. I know that the owner of this site you are reading this on has had a change in lifestyle and wishes to update this forum accordingly. I get that. Thank-you Scott and Jeannie for letting me post my thoughts and adventures here. I really appreciate it and it has been an excellent and enjoyable learning experience. Thank-you also to the people who took an interest in what I was posting and have continued to follow the blog. I have been quite surprised at how it kind of chain-reacted into so many views. I tried to keep things interesting and not boring or too repetitive and it was getting harder to do that after I became settled into the lifestyle I have here. Remember---"Why be normal--normal is boring"
Sincerely, Ken M. OldRebel

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #606 11/12/16 06:41 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
11/12/16
Hi everybody. I finally got some great game camera video of cougars on my property. Check this out. FOUR cougars travelling together just after midnight on your election night. Early on the morning of the 9th.

http://vid1288.photobucket.com/albu...ach%20Adventure/11090022_zps5zkob3ol.mp4

http://vid1288.photobucket.com/albu...ach%20Adventure/11090021_zpsoymez7y4.mp4

http://vid1288.photobucket.com/albu...ach%20Adventure/11090020_zps7hlwuxwe.mp4

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #607 11/12/16 06:52 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Try again

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1288.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb493%2Flinc178%2FBragg%2520Creek%2520Coach%2520Adventure%2F11090020_zps7hlwuxwe.mp4&title=">

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #608 11/12/16 06:53 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #609 11/12/16 06:53 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Search w/Google
Google

GLCD/TLCD Projects
Fab Ads
Legacy Travel Content
Fab Ads
Top Posters(All Time)
OldRebel 304
Muniac 275
Jeannie 48
8850 8
Gil B 4
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Muniac), 1 guest and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod