Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #640 12/30/16 09:06 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
One of my neighbors found a deer tangled in a fence today. He tried to save it but couldn't as it had a damaged leg. He had to put it out of it's misery. The carcass was then moved out onto my property further away from our immediate living areas. I have a much larger property than he does and he has the run of it with his horses and snowmobile. When he told me where he put the carcass I realized it is somewhat across from where I have a camera. He has also bought a game camera and set it up near the carcass to see what happens. Should be interesting.

Last edited by OldRebel; 12/31/16 07:39 AM.
Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #641 12/31/16 04:26 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
I changed out all the camera SD cards a short time ago. Unfortunately I have nothing worthwhile to show you believe it or not. A couple of deer and a lot of video of my neighbor on his snowmobile. I adjusted the one camera so that it is directly facing the deer carcass. I'll probably get a lot of video of crows but we'll see. I might check that camera again tomorrow afternoon.
There is a snowfall warning here for tonight and tomorrow morning. It is also going to get cold again in the week ahead. I filled my water tank today and dumped my waste tanks. It was a fairly nice day today at just several degrees below zero Celsius.
I bought another camera on ebay last night, LOL. I guess it's becoming an addiction. I wanted another no-glow camera that took better video than my Trophy Cam No Glow Aggressor. I decided on the Browning Spec Ops Platinum model. It takes terrific 1080p video and has a very fast trigger speed which is unusual for video. About .6 of a second. That's very fast. My Bushnell cameras take about two seconds before they start recording video after a motion trigger. They are, however, lightning fast when taking stills.The Browning is reported as sub-par for stills so it will only be used for video. I won't have the new Browning for probably a week or two (or more) as it is being shipped to Eureka, Montana. I'm not keen on doing another "mail run" just yet. No more camera purchases. I'll be happy with my fleet of five unless one breaks.
I will post again tomorrow afternoon and at the very least I will post some nice stills after the snow.

Last edited by OldRebel; 12/31/16 04:32 PM.
Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #642 01/08/17 06:44 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Hi friends. I lost my Mum today. She was ninety years old. She was born in Scotland but immigrated to Canada on her own in 1951. A brave adventurous lass. Like all Mums (Mum is British/Scottish compared to Mom--she hated the Mom spelling,lol) she understood her children. She has always understood my rebelliousness and my need to be different. She would sometimes tell people about how, when I was about only two, that I wanted to camp out underneath the basement stairs by myself. An undeveloped basement--concrete walls and floors. She let me, figuring I wouldn't last too long. She was wrong. She ended up going down to the basement in the middle of the night to drag me back upstairs. Please have a shot of Scotch tonight in memory of a great lady. Isobel. Here is a favorite picture I have of her from 1959. That is me with her.

[Linked Image from i1288.photobucket.com]

Last edited by OldRebel; 01/08/17 06:51 PM.
Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #643 01/17/17 05:43 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
We had another two week cold snap here and for one of those weeks I had pulled the cameras inside again. The previous week to that I had almost no wildlife shots at all. Certainly no cougars. It's like they moved to a different area for a bit. I'm sure they will be back. I put the cameras out again this past Sunday and will check them this weekend. We have had a classic southern Alberta Chinook this week and temperatures have soared up into the teens (C) here. It was plus 13C (55 F) in the shade at my place this afternoon according to my weather station. Snow is melting like crazy and the city and roads are a sloppy mess. Loving it! Anyways, one of my co-workers told me about a friend of his who has had cougar visitors at his rural property in the Dewinton area which is also southwest of Calgary. About 10 miles from me. These two pictures were taken with his security cameras while he is away on vacation.

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #644 01/23/17 08:15 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
I checked the cameras on the weekend. Almost zero action on all cameras last week. One cam recorded three deer for a couple of minutes. That was it. I spent most of my weekend bucking up trees and splitting wood. Those two cold spells reduced my firewood stash significantly.
Correction on the above cougar photos. Those pictures were taken by the home owner at home at the time. The pictures plus one more ended up on one of the local news stations here last week although I showed them to you first. They are a beautiful animal aren't they?

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #645 02/23/17 06:36 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Hi friends. I haven't posted for the last few weeks mainly because I haven't had anything worthwhile to post. Even though I have five cameras out now ( the newest one just this week) there has been a real lack of wildlife around here lately. The last cougar picture was of that one who stuck his face in the camera. They do wander I understand. I've had several deer pics and a quickie of a moose but nothing special. There have been several decent snowfalls here and we had another cold snap for a week or so. Dropping dead trees, bucking them up, splitting and burning wood has mostly been about it. I'm looking forward to checking all cams this weekend. Especially that new one. I placed it in a new spot so fingers crossed. It had a real quality feel to it right out of the box. It is supposed to be top notch on 1080p video. We'll see. I have managed to keep all my quad trails open through the winter so far. Hopefully I can post something cool for you to see soon.

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #646 02/25/17 05:34 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
I checked the cameras today but still no goodies. My new Browning camera did show me what it is capable of with a 10 second clip of me on my quad. I have tried to upload the video to PhotoBucket but I am having trouble doing so. Probably because it is fairly big file even though it is only 10 seconds long. True 1080p hi-def video. It really looks spectacular. I'll have to figure out a way to link you folks to the video from that camera because when I get some critter video on it it will need to be shared for sure.

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #647 02/25/17 05:39 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #648 02/25/17 05:43 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Ok, that worked. Now all we need is some wildlife! I moved that new cam into a good spot on one of my main trails. Pretty much the same spot as where that cougar played with the camera and got his picture taken.

Re: Full Timing in Alberta Foothills [Re: OldRebel] #649 03/12/17 06:38 PM
O
OldRebel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Hi all. We have still been having some very cold temperatures here. Colder than -20C on many mornings. Depressing. It's supposed to warm up this coming week. There has still been a lack of wildlife on my cameras. All I have to show you is one short video of a wild horse coming by for a visit. Yes, I have wild horses come onto the property and hang out. Often, actually. I originally thought they were wandering Indian horses from the big reserve this property backs on to. A neighbor told me that they are actually wild horses cast away from the original herd. I have seen about five different ones.
[img]http://i1288.photobucket.com/a...enture/th_03070003_zpsxztbqibm.mp4[/img]

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Search w/Google
Google

GLCD/TLCD Projects
Fab Ads
Legacy Travel Content
Fab Ads
Top Posters(All Time)
Muniac 324
OldRebel 305
Jeannie 48
8850 8
Gil B 4
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod