NoMachine works well to connect two PCs that have an ethernet connection. Such as two laptops or a laptop and Raspberry pi 3/4 PCB. In the case of the Raspberry pi, this will allow a remote PC to function as a display and keyboard. Referred to as headless. The debian addition I'm working with is nomachine_8.2.3_4_amd64.deb I'm also running on old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptops which did work fine on older versions of NoMachine. The new version would connect, display a blank screen then disconnect which was frustrating. The problem is hardware acceleration used by the new version. There is a .nx folder in your home directory (remember to press CTRL-H). This contains another folder config which contains a file player.cfg This is a text file with configuration parameters that can be set. About line 48 there will be a line "Enable hardware accelerated decoding". Change value=true to value=disabled at the end of the line. This solved the disconnection problem on my systems.

You can use an ethernet crossover cable to connect two systems together. You'll need to setup connection information. Create a wired connection with cross referenced IP addresses (example below):

System 1: IP address - 192.168.2.31 Netmask - 24 Gateway 192.168.2.30 Method - Manual
System 2: IP address - 192.168.2.30 Netmask - 24 Gateway 192.168.2.31 Method - Manual

You'll need to know the account name and password to establish a connection. From one machine (192.168.2.31), supply the IP address to the other machine (192.168.2.30). Changing your connection may require a system reboot. From NoMachine, create a connection and select connect. You'll be prompted for a USER and PassWord. Flow through the screens until you see the desktop.

Evolve and simplify!
Scott Bridgman, Why not join and post your own comments??
scott@muniac.com (email me)
BACK HOME