February 20, 2016

Hello people. I was down in Montana last weekend with my brother Scott and thought I would share some pictures with you that you may find fun and interesting. I had forgotten to take my usual camera so some of the pics were taken with my iphone and others were with a camera I wasn't familiar with so if they seem a little fuzzier than normal that is why. We went down to check on Scott's place (which is totally off-grid) and also to pick up some stuff I had at the Montana Shipping Outlet which I have posted about elsewhere in this blog. Scott's off-grid set-up is quite intricate and amazing really. It is a solar and generator operation. Since his homestead area is in a hollow the solar operation is quite weak in winter with the sun so low in the sky. Therefore he had to build his buildings with very thick, well-engineered insulated walls so they take very minimal heating to keep things from freezing up since the generators can't keep running with nobody around. This first picture is of the main homestead area. The super-insulated mechanical building is immediately behind the A-frame you see here.

[Linked Image from i1288.photobucket.com]

This next shot is of a wall with some of the electronic controls and inverter set-up. This is just one portion of what he has in there. It is also built with an in-floor heating system.

The mechanical room building also contains a kitchen and a shower room as well as a 1000 liter (approx 250 gallon) water tank. It also has a chest type deep freeze that he converted the refrigeration system to operate as a refrigerator rather than a freezer. More efficient at keeping the cold in when you open the lid as compared to a normal front door type refrigerator. Here is a picture of his very cool shower set-up. The tub is a horse water trough.

Scott monitors his systems and temperatures with a program he can access anytime and anywhere from his laptop.

Last edited by OldRebel; 02/20/16 07:40 PM.