I had an eventful day today. There's good news....and there's bad news. Let's start with the good news.
I met my brother Scott at his shop to pick up the stuff he carried home for me from Montana. This included the Vogelzang kit for converting an oil drum into a wood stove. Oh, I stopped on the way there and picked up a used drum---20.00. The kit was about 120.00 on ebay. It is the deluxe air-tight version. Anyways, our friend Shale was there as well and in short order had that drum turned into a wood stove. The pics at my place show it outside because you have to burn it in for a couple days to burn the paint off the barrel. It stinks pretty bad.

[Linked Image from i1288.photobucket.com]

We're going to put it in the middle of the living room in the old mobile home with lots of heat protection. These things throw off a lot of heat and their capacity let's them burn for hours and hours if vented and dampered right. This will be just what I need to start cutting back on those diesel and electric bills.

The bad news is the reason I ran out of water is something broke back in the tank bay on that last bitterly cold night. The one where I think it hit -40 or very close to it. I was worried about that yesterday because I thought I had more water left than what the gauge was showing. I looked around yesterday and didn't see any water so I was puzzled. I filled up my tote tank at Scott's shop as well and pumped it into the coach when I got home. I didn't notice until I had pumped in about 3/4 of it that things were getting slushy on the ground at the left rear corner of the coach. Bummer. Scott doesn't think the tank broke. Probably a line or connection right behind the back wall of the water bay/sewer connection cabinet. That last night was just toooo cold. Oh well, I'll deal with it. In the meantime I need a way to shower. I had already thought of a plan in case something like this happened. I had noticed there is kind of a small shelf along the back upper side of the shower in the coach. I retrieved my solar shower bag and it's hook from the bathroom in the old mobile home. Then I dug around in the snow for my collection of lumber and fished out a 2x4. I cut it to the length I needed and then cut a couple more short pieces. These I nailed on top and then drilled a hole and screwed in the big hook on top. This gives me a little more height for the bag. It will be a sit down shower. I have a plastic stool I can use. This pic show the bag thawing out temporarily hung from the regular shower hanger.

It will work fine for now until Scott and I can open up that water bay and deal with whatever broke. I was doing fine until that last cold night! Forty below is extremely cold. I haven't seen it that cold around the Calgary area for probably at least 10 years. Maybe longer. I told Scott when I was moving out here in the coach it would be a cold,snowy winter because I was doing this, haha. I'm pretty sure we won't see another cold snap like that again this winter. I hope not anyway.

Last edited by OldRebel; 12/09/13 06:57 PM. Reason: grammar