I have had a long day of hard work today but I said I would post so here we go.

First of all let me say that I'm not going to bore everybody for the next number of posts about me spreading gravel,lol. This particular post will be however as I want to show you what I'm doing and how I am doing it. The Plan.
The main purpose of these five loads of gravel is actually NOT to gravel the whole driveway but is to gravel and therefore firm up the surfaces where I am going to turn around my coach. There are a number of mud holes and ruts down the driveway that I will be filling in and flattening out but many parts of the driveway are very solid and have given me no trouble what-so-ever. If money was no object then I probably would have ordered 7 or 8 loads and hired someone to spread it by machine. Money IS an object. That is also why I had the truck driver only spread one load out in a line. The way I spread gravel with my rink shovel lets me put the gravel where I need it and I can be frugal with it. I have several different uses for each pile of gravel except for one.

The first load was dumped at approximately 10:30 this morning.

[Linked Image from i1288.photobucket.com]

As soon as it was dumped I started to work on it with my shovels. Right away the new rink shovel handle came unattached because of the weight so I had to drill holes and put some screws in place to hold it on. Worked great all day after that mod. If you look closely at this next pic you can see the screwdriver on one of the screws I installed.

As I described way back last August when I made my RV pad I spread the gravel in a line and then, after reloading the rink shovel, I drag the weighted rink shovel along the load I just laid down. This flattens it out and also spreads the gravel even further down the line. As the gravel is pushed out in front of the loaded shovel it slowly starts to thin out and disappear under the shovel. Then I stop, lift up the shovel handle, and spread the load from the shovel down just like a dumptruck. Works awesome as you will see shortly.

The third load is the only one I had him spread out as it is the exit track out of the turn-a-round and it made sense to do it. I will still have to spread it out side to side somewhat.

The fourth load went into my worst mud-hole corner but some of that load will also go down one side of the driveway after the corner. One side of that portion of the driveway is solid and one is not.

The last load went down by the last corner before the gate but I won't post a pic of it.

Here's a shot looking back towards the coach from mud-hole corner.

Ok, I've got a few lines of gravel down now.

These next pictures are end of day shots. I got a lot done today. There's not much left of that first pile of gravel. I've got my work cut out for me. A neighbor with a Bobcat (small landscaping bulldozer) has said he will help but I haven't seen him yet.

Last edited by OldRebel; 06/11/14 09:47 PM. Reason: clarification